Raku Firings for Individuals or Groups allow one to six participants to create one-of-a-kind raku fired pieces in our Raku kiln.
$100. for the first kiln load, $60. for each additional kiln load.
The cost covers one to six participants.
To Schedule a Raku Firing for Individuals or Groups:
Please call the First City Art Center Office to inquire about availability and for additional info.
FCAC will Furnish:
- Four Raku Tongs
- Six covered containers of different sizes
- Six pairs of welding gloves.
Participants are Encouraged to Bring:
- Your own raku tongs, welding gloves, and additional large metal containers with tight fitting lids (if you have them).
- Saw dust, newspaper, dry leaves, etc. (combustible materials – please ask for clarification if needed).
- SOS pads and green scrubbers for pots and pans (needed for cleaning the Raku pots after firing).
Work should be bisque fired to cone 06-04 and glazed before the day of firing. It is best to use Raku clay, or a clay body that withstands the thermal shock involved in this firing process. FCAC has a very limited number and quantity of glazes available, so it is recommended to have your work glazed in advance.
What to Wear:
Participants should wear 100% cotton clothing, long sleeves and long pants/jeans that will protect their legs and arms from hot temperatures. Long hair should be tied back, and it is helpful to have a bandana or a baseball hat covering your head. Sandals or flip-flops are not allowed, closed toed shoes only. Sunglasses or safety glasses can help to protect your eyes.
Raku kiln will be operated by First City Art Center approved staff only.
** Raku kiln provided by funding from Great Gulfcoast Arts Festival. **
Call FCAC at 850-429-1222 to schedule an appointment with an approved staff member. $25 deposit is required.
Please schedule a minimum of four weeks in advance.
Based on Availability
Call for available dates
- The cost covers 1-6 participants.
- Call FCAC at <a href="tel:+18504291222">850-429-1222</a> to set up an appointment with an approved staff member.
- Please schedule a minimum of four weeks in advance.
Students will receive a refund of tuition minus 10% if the student contacts us no later than 7 days prior to the first day of class. Cancellations up to 48 hours before the start of the class will receive a 50% refund. Any cancellations within 48 hours before the start of the class, or after the class has begun will not be refunded. In the case of an emergency, the student may be able to transfer their payment towards another class based on availability.
Class sizes are limited and enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis. Unfortunately, FCAC is unable to prorate students for missed classes or classes that they are unable to attend. We strive to provide the highest quality art classes and we value your feedback. If you would like to share your experience or have questions or concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org