First City Art Center provides educational opportunities for artists and the community, while contributing to the overall development of artistic and cultural growth in Pensacola and the Gulf Coast!
What to expect:
- A glassblowing lecture and demonstration (25-30 minutes) with discussion of processes conducted by the Glass Arts Fellow.
- A short, 30 minute hands-on ceramics project is offered in the classroom.
- A visit to the Long Hollow Community Art Park for field trip groups with 50+ students.
If time allows, teachers may take the students on a supervised tour of Gallery 1060 on campus. You’re welcome to watch the artwork in action, but please be respectful of the artists who may be focused on their work during your visit. Take a walk across the street from FCAC on Guillemard St. to the Long Hollow Community Art Park and walk the labyrinth or visit the playground. Schools have the option to bring a bag lunch for students to enjoy on the patio or in the park.
The cost is $5.00 per student with a minimum of 25 students or $125. FCAC can accommodate up to 120 students max.
Students will make a hand-built clay object with air dry clay and take the pieces home the same day.
A minimum of one chaperone for every ten students is required. Alternate packages and scholarships may be available if financing is an issue, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request more info.
To schedule a School Field Trip, please call the office (850) 429-1222 or email email@example.com. In your request, please include the number of students you expect to bring and 3 possible dates. Please note: field trips cannot be scheduled on Mondays or Tuesdays.
Cub Scout Art Belt Loop Field Trip
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts are invited to earn their Art Belt Loop at First City Art Center!
What to expect:
- Scouts will enjoy a tour of the campus and gallery and a glass blowing demonstration
- An art educator will provide a lesson on six basic elements of design. Scouts will then complete a color wheel project using paints.
The cost is $5.00 per student with a minimum of 25 students or $175.
Art Academic Pin Two-day Program
Scouts who have earned their Art Belt Loop are eligible to earn an Art Academic Pin in our more intense two-day program. First City Art Center will provide an art educator to help the scouts complete the requirements to earn this pin. Scouts are encouraged to bring their work to a subsequent meeting to display.
We encourage dens or packs to book this as a group. Each day consists of classes for two hours and is held after school or on weekends. Please be sure to call about booking this field trip as far in advance as possible to discuss available dates for a teacher.
What to expect:
- Day One
- Paper making project
- Pottery project
- Gallery tour
- Day Two
- Photography project (digital, scouts will need to bring their own smartphone, tablet or cameras)
- Sculpture project (upcycling project)
- Self portrait project using various art techniques
Cost is $25 per student for the two-day class.