Introduction to Painting is a six-week course that covers the core principles of painting for those who are interested in learning, or expanding their knowledge of, the fundamental art form. We will utilize Acrylic Paint for its versatility and accessible qualities. The major concepts we cover will be Composition, Color, and Value. Each will receive comprehensive coverage with most being discussed across two class meetings to allow for multiple techniques of execution and in depth handling. The class will offer an atmosphere for creative expression, learning, and enjoyment.
Upcoming Dates: Wednesday, 6PM-9PM
- January 4th – February 8th
- April 12th – May 17th
- July 19th – August 23rd
- October 25th – November 29th
Student Supply List: Five Painting Surfaces (Stretched Canvas or Canvas Boards), Acrylic Paints, Assortment of Paint Brushes suitable for Acrylic Painting
WEEK 1: COMPOSITION
- Introduction to materials and course objectives.
- Assessing what makes a strong composition, Rule of Thirds, Golden Ratio, Major Compositional Formats
- Project: Still Life
- Students will begin with the most traditional method of learning to paint: assessing what they see and breaking it down from overall composition to shape and color.
WEEK 2: COMPOSITION
- Continuation of Still Life
- Furthering the application and rendering of shape within a strong composition to achieve a finished piece.
WEEK 3: COLOR
- Diving into Color and its informed application
- Project: Complimentary Colors
- Create a painting using only a complimentary color scheme
WEEK 4: COLOR
- Project: Analogous Colors
- Create a painting using an Analogous Color Scheme
WEEK 5: VALUE
- Discussing value and how it affects what a painting conveys to the viewer
- Create a Monochrome painting with clearly defined value.
WEEK 6: VALUE WRAP UP/SPECIAL PROJECT
- Finishing any works needed
- Special Project
Artful IMPACT Classroom
Students will receive a refund of tuition minus 10% if the student contacts us no later than 7 days prior to the first day of class. Cancellations up to 48 hours before the start of the class will receive a 50% refund. Any cancellations within 48 hours before the start of the class, or after the class has begun will not be refunded. In the case of an emergency, the student may be able to transfer their payment towards another class based on availability.
Class sizes are limited and enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis. Unfortunately, FCAC is unable to prorate students for missed classes or classes that they are unable to attend. We strive to provide the highest quality art classes and we value your feedback. If you would like to share your experience or have questions or concerns, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Class Cancellation Policy- MORE INFO