First City Art Center (FCAC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to arts education and community outreach. FCAC is proud to offer a 6-month internship to recent graduates entering the field of studio glass. The internship will provide professional experience in an active public-access studio.
The internship provides professional experience in an active, public-access studio. Working under the supervision of the Glass Studio Manager and Glass Studio Tech, interns gain an in-depth understanding of maintenance and operation of a variety of glass-working equipment, assisting in programming and working with glass makers of all levels. Interns can expect to work 20 hours per week and should expect to lift up to 50 pounds in their regular duties.
Internship terms generally run from February 1-July 31, and August 1-January 31.
- Charging Furnace
- Monitoring Hot Shop/Cold Shop/Kilns/Flame Shop/Mobile Glassblowing studio
- General Cleaning/Organization in ALL facilities, focusing on Warehouse/ Glass Facilities
- Ensuring that the facility is visitor-ready ESPECIALLY before a group or a field trip arrives
- Preparing for, attending, and cleaning up after major fundraising events
- Assisting Glass staff, working as a Teaching Assistant for a variety of classes, including Make Your Own Glass
- Assisting Glass Studio Manager in Technical/Facility projects
- Assisting in Production of cups and pumpkins for events
- Assisting with Gallery Nights Downtown – mobile glassblowing studio outreach
- Completing other tasks as directed.
- $500 stipend per month for a period of six months.
- Personal work time in glass shops – glass-blowing, kiln-forming, flame-working
- Opportunities to demonstrate during events
- Opportunities to propose/teach workshops
- Opportunities to sell personal work during certain events & in the main office
- BFA in glass or equivalent experience, or currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program
- Ability to work with adults and children of all ages and abilities
- Strong work ethic and commitment to community service
- Ability to regularly lift up to 50 lbs.
- General understanding of a variety of glass processes
Please submit a cover letter, resume/CV, a list of three professional references, and at least ten (10) images of your work.
Mail to: 1060 N. Guillemard St. Pensacola, FL 32501 / Email: email@example.com / Applications are also accepted via Google Drive or Dropbox.
There is no official deadline to apply. Applications will be reviewed twice annually between May – July, and November – January. Before hiring, a background check will be conducted.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call Kellie Sylvester, Glass Studio and Programs Manager at (850) 429-1222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.