In this 3-hour introductory class students will learn the basic skills of how to gather and manipulate molten glass and be introduced to basic color applications. Students will become familiar with the necessary equipment and tools needed in a hot glass studio. Expect to make a paper weight, flower, and/or other solid glass objects. No prior experience necessary!
This course is a great refresher if you have not worked in the studio for awhile. It also covers the necessary skills and safety procedures in order to work as an assistant in the FCAC Hot Glass Studio alongside qualified renters.
Class Learning Outcome:
- Students will be well versed with safety protocols
- Students will be able to identify all basic hand-tools and equipment in a glassblowing studio such as jacks, marver, bench, furnace, gloryhole, pipes, etc.
- Students will move about the studio in a safe and effective manner, i.e. personal safety requirements, holding pipes and punties, handling tools properly, gathering from a furnace, entering and exiting bench/gloryhole, cooling the pipe correctly, and working with an assistant, etc.
- Students will begin to develop glassblowing vernacular.
- Students will gather glass onto a punty rod, and tool the glass learning the correct way to hold and use the: blocks, tweezers, jacks, and the straight and diamond shears.
- Students will learn how to safely load work into the annealers
- Students will be able to describe the Shop cleanup and Covid cleaning process.
This course does not qualify individuals to rent on their own. Only qualified renters with previous experience, or those who have completed Intro to Glassblowing may participate as an artist in FCAC markets, sell work in the office or at events.
What to Expect:
- Safety glasses
- Color frit used to make a glass object.
Finished Pieces: After your piece cools in the annealer for 24 hours, the glass instructor will inspect it for any sharp points, then it will be ready for pick-up the following week on in the main office.
What to wear/bring: Participants must wear cotton clothing (no synthetics), closed-toed shoes and bring a hair-tie for securing long hair away from face. Bring water or another hydrating liquid, the studio is warm and the class requires student participation.
Please notify your instructor if you have special health issues which require adjustment to the glass blowing techniques.
Sign-up: This course is offered based on availability of instructors and studio space. The session schedule is flexible and can be adjusted based on the participants and instructor schedule. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss scheduling.
Class may be subject to rescheduling due to inclement weather or changes in COVID. Students will be notified immediately if class requires rescheduling and will be made aware of the available options as soon as possible.
Please see our up to date COVID policy here.
For a Single Student
- $265 for non-members
- $250 for members
For Two (pod) Students
- $395 for non-members
- $375 for members
Creative Warehouse, Building #1. If you are new to FCAC, please see the campus map below.
Keith Jones, Kellie Sylvester
Introductory, No Experience Necessary
1 Student – Sat. April 23, 9-12P, 1 Student – Sat. April 9, 9-12P, 2 Students – Sat. April 23, 9-12P, 2 Students – Sat. April 9, 9-12P
Students will receive a refund of tuition minus 10% if the student contacts us no later than 7 days prior to the first day of class. Cancellations up to 48 hours before the start of the class will receive a 50% refund. Any cancellations within 48 hours before the start of the class, or after the class has begun will not be refunded. In the case of an emergency, the student may be able to transfer their payment towards another class based on availability.
Class sizes are limited and enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis. Unfortunately, FCAC is unable to prorate students for missed classes or classes that they are unable to attend. We strive to provide the highest quality art classes and we value your feedback. If you would like to share your experience or have questions or concerns, please email us at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Class Cancellation Policy- MORE INFO