3D Printsacola combines machine generative art with hands-on artmaking practices.
Come celebrate the unveiling of a new interactive sculpture and watch artists working with 3D Printing processes and making art in a fun, casual atmosphere.
All are welcome to engage in the experience of live action artmaking and skateboarding!
IHMC and FCAC are collaborating using innovative methods to create a 3D printed skateable concrete “skulpture”, designed by FCAC’s Creative Scientist in Residence, David Fries from IHMC, and Rodney Mullen, “The Godfather of Modern Street Skating” from Redondo Beach, CA. David and Rodney will be the keynote speakers on November 7 at IHMC, and the legendary Rodney Mullen will be skateboarding on the “skulpture” at 3D Printsacola, which is embedded with augmented reality (AR), an interactive experience where the skateable object translates human engagement with the object in real time.
3D Printsacola will feature this completed 3D printed “skulpture” with an amazing skating demonstration by Rodney Mullen, in addition to seeing 3D printers alongside artists in action. Imagine a massive 8-ton concrete compaction “steamroller” machine rolling through the parking lot across fabric and scrolls of paper with hand-carved blocks beneath them, revealing a beautiful collaboration of hand and industrial machine-made prints.
There will be a hands-on activity area for event attendees to drop in and experiment with stamps and printmaking techniques, and there will also be an incredible learning opportunity utilizing IHMC’s 3D Printable STEAM robots, geodesic dome structures that create their own patterns on paper as they move!
3D Printsacola on Friday, Novemer 8th from 5:00 – 9:00pm at FCAC features:
- 3D printed skateable “skulpture” designed by David Fries, Rodney Mullen, and the IHMC team of Creative Scientists
- The legendary Rodney Mullen will perform a skateboarding demonstration on the 3D Printed concrete “skulpture”
- IHMC’s innovative technology on display – 3D printing in concrete!
- Steamroller printing in the parking lot, demonstrations on the hour at: 6pm, 7pm, and 8pm
- Hands-on activity area: printmaking, stamping, 3D printable STEAM robots
- Glassblowing demonstrations featuring Fred Kahl, a glass artist incorporating 3D Printing processes
- Ceramics demonstrations incorporating 3D Printing processes
- Pop-up exhibition featuring 3D Printed Objects made by students at Pensacola State College
- Art Gallery 1060 open for viewing
- Beer and Wine available for purchase
- Food Trucks
A limited number of VIP tickets available for November 8th: includes catered hors d’oeuvres, drinks, AND the opportunity to mingle with Rodney Mullen, IHMC team, and participating artists. VIP tickets will be available for purchase via Eventbrite in September!
November 4-8, 2019
- November 4 - 7: 3D Printing and Glassblowing Workshop with artist Fred Kahl: 10am - 6pm. Workshop Registration will be available in August! Please email email@example.com for more info.
- November 7 at 7pm: Keynote Speakers Rodney Mullen and David Fries at IHMC: FREE and open to the public! 40 S Alcaniz St, Pensacola, FL 32502
- November 8 from 5-9pm: Main Event "3D Printsacola" at FCAC: FREE for members, or a $10 suggested donation. 1060 N. Guillemard St. Pensacola, FL 32501
- Limited VIP Tickets for November 8th Event: includes catered hors d’oeuvres, drinks, AND the opportunity to mingle with Rodney Mullen, IHMC team, and participating artists. VIP tickets will be available for purchase on Eventbrite in September!