Ceramics Supply Manager
Target Start Date: ASAP
Position Reports to: Managing Director and Creative Director
80 hours paid bi-weekly (35-45 hrs/wk), typically scheduled Tuesday – Saturday.
Occasional evening work required for special events.
First City Art Center is looking for a Ceramics Supply Manager (CSM) who wants to work in a fast-paced, exciting, and growing non-profit arts organization. This is a salaried, year-round position that oversees existing ceramics supply distributorships and is responsible for the growth of retail business. CSM coordinates with the Ceramics Studio Manager to maintain inventory of glaze materials, clay, tools, and supplies for the FCAC ceramics studio classes. Supports admin office operations as the primary salesperson for ceramics supplies, in addition to answering phones, registering students and processing payment for classes and other supporting tasks. CSM makes frequent deliveries off-site and supports other campus functions such as fundraising event preparation, clean up, and overall facility maintenance. This position also has the opportunity to teach ceramics classes for children and adults, and will be responsible for participating in outreach that may involve demonstrating and engaging in hands-on clay work with a variety of ages and abilities. We need someone who is energetic and self-motivated with a proven history of high performance to support the Managing Director, Creative Director, and staff in Pensacola, FL.
This position requires outstanding planning, time management, and organizational skills. Reliability, responsibility, and the ability to multi-task is critical. The successful candidate will have a positive attitude and exceptional customer service skills. A good sense of humor is helpful, as is the ability to be flexible and change direction at a moment’s notice. The ability to work successfully in a team environment and build effective working relationships inside and outside the staff is essential. This includes building relationships with new and repeat customers and growing the retail business.
Managing Distributorships for Standard, Laguna, Kemper, and Amaco – CSM is the direct point of contact for companies and customers. This includes updating and maintaining accurate and competitive price lists and inventory, preparing and placing orders, coordinating shipments and deliveries, safely storing and organizing materials and maintaining organization of warehouse.
Ceramic Retail Shop – Manages pricing, displaying, and selling clay, glaze materials, and tools to individual artists as well as schools, and other art centers that have clay programs. Includes maintaining inventory and order of retail space. Includes answering phones and maintaining clay phone number through cell phone. Promoting and advertising to prospective customers.
Inventory and Supply – Consistently updates inventory and monitors consumption in FCAC ceramics studio. Communicates with instructors and regular students about upcoming orders. Order supplies as needed, manages special requests for materials used in workshops.
Admin Assistant – Assisting with office operations includes answering phone calls, registering and processing payments for classes, taking messages, answering questions about programs and classes as needed.
Facilities – Assists in preparing for events both on and off campus which includes: cleaning facilities, moving/storing equipment, setting up tents or other needed equipment including lighting, decorations, and managing vendor setup and collection of vendor fees for events.
Outreach and Field Trip Program – Assists with outreach events both on and off-site, including Gallery Nights downtown, local arts festivals, etc. Assists with the ceramic portion of field trip operations which includes demonstrating and teaching during field trips and preparing projects for immediate transport.
Education – Opportunity to teach a variety of ceramics classes for adults and children, including private lessons, birthday parties, special workshops, etc.
- B.F.A. in ceramics or comparable professional training
- 4 or more years of work experience in a field of ceramics
- Supervisory experience and retail experience are required
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Candidate will be self-motivated, highly organized, extremely reliable and responsible
- Positive, proactive, and able to have fun at work and help others do the same
- Grace under pressure, and the ability to switch gears at a moment’s notice
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and be legally eligible to operate a large pickup truck
- Clean driving record – any at-fault traffic accidents or citations within 3 yrs. must be explained.
- Able to drive up to one hour in each direction for deliveries during normal business hours
- Must have strong overall knowledge of clay bodies, underglazes, ceramic supplies and raw materials, and their proper uses and chemical properties
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. repeatedly and on a regular basis
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check
- Experience with safely operating a forklift, pallet jack, and hand truck is preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
- $25,000 base salary, with a performance review after first 6 months of employment, and annually reviewed thereafter.
- Use of ceramics open studio – this includes all studio equipment, glazes, and firings
- Annual stipend for approved Professional Development – workshops, conference, trainings, etc.
- Paid Annual Leave per employee handbook
- Opportunities to demonstrate during events
- Opportunities to propose/teach workshops and classes
- Opportunities to sell personal work during certain events & in the main office
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume including 3 professional references via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified Candidates will be contacted for interview, position will remain open until filled. At First City Art Center, diversity is celebrated and supported – we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees and our community. FCAC is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
Download .pdf here: FCAC Ceramic Supply Manager