First City Art Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to arts education and community outreach. First City is proud to offer a 6-month internship to students currently enrolled in a BFA or BA program, or recent graduates entering the field of studio art. The internship will provide professional experience in an active public-access studio. Working under the supervision of the Ceramics Studio Manager, the intern will gain an in-depth understanding of maintenance and operation of a variety of equipment, assisting in programming, and working with clay makers of all levels.
The internship provides professional experience in an active, public-access studio. Interns can expect to work up to 20 hours per week and should expect to lift up to 50 pounds in their regular duties.
Internship terms generally run from January 1-June 30, July 1-December 31.
- Recycling Clay
- Mixing Glazes
- Assisting with kiln loading/unloading and firing
- General Cleaning/Organization in ALL facilities, focusing on Ceramics Facilities
- Ensuring that the facility is visitor-ready ESPECIALLY before a group or a field trip arrives
- Preparing for, attending, and cleaning up after major fundraising events
- Assisting Ceramics Studio Manager in Technical/Facility projects
- Assisting in Production of cups and pumpkins for events
- Completing other tasks as required
- $500. stipend per month for a period of six months
- Personal work time in the ceramics studio
- Opportunities to demonstrate during events
- Opportunities to propose/teach workshops
- Opportunities to sell personal work during certain events & in the main office
- BFA or BA in ceramics or equivalent experience, or currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program
- Ability to work with adults and children of all ages and abilities
- Strong work ethic and commitment to community service
- Ability to regularly lift up to 50 lbs.
- General understanding of a variety of ceramic processes
Please submit a cover letter, resume/CV, a list of three professional references, and at least ten (10) images of your work.
Mail to: 1060 N. Guillemard St. Pensacola, FL 32501 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Applications are also accepted via Dropbox.
Applications will be reviewed twice annually between April – June, and October – December.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call Caitlin Rhea, Managing Director at (850) 429-1222 or email email@example.com.